Review settled claims to determine that payments and settlements are made in accordance with company practices and procedures. Confer with legal counsel on claims requiring litigation. May also settle insurance claims.
- Examine claims forms and other records to determine insurance coverage.
- Analyze information gathered by investigation and report findings and recommendations.
- Interview or correspond with agents and claimants to correct errors or omissions and to investigate questionable claims.
- Obtain credit information from banks and other credit services.
- Review police reports, medical treatment records, medical bills, or physical property damage to determine the extent of liability.
- Negotiate claim settlements and recommend litigation when settlement cannot be negotiated.
- Refer questionable claims to investigator or claims adjuster for investigation or settlement.
- Communicate with former associates to verify employment record and to obtain background information regarding persons or businesses applying for credit.
- Investigate and assess damage to property and create or review property damage estimates.
- Insurance Adjusters, Examiners, and Investigators
- Claims Examiners, Property and Casualty Insurance
- Purchasing Agents, Except Wholesale, Retail, and Farm Products
- Credit Analysts
- Budget Analysts
- Insurance Underwriters
- Billing, Cost, and Rate Clerks
- Brokerage Clerks
- Production, Planning, and Expediting Clerks
- Regulatory Affairs Specialists
- Compensation, Benefits, and Job Analysis Specialists
- Tax Preparers
- First-Line Supervisors of Office and Administrative Support Workers
- Insurance Appraisers, Auto Damage
- Financial Examiners
- Appraisers, Real Estate